I. OCCUPANCY POLICY
1. Occupancy is based on the number of bedrooms in a unit. (A bedroom is defined as a space within the premises that is used primarily for sleeping, with at least one window and a closet for clothing)
2. Two persons are allowed per bedroom, plus 1 additional person per unit.
II. APPLICATION PROCESS
Steps to become a resident at a Dalton Management property.
1. Select your rental unit.
2. Complete the application on the designated form.
3. Pay your non-refundable credit/screening fee of $40.00 dollars.
4. Once you have been approved, you will be required to pay the minimum refundable security deposit.
5. Be prepared to wait one business day for the information on your application to be verified.
III. DISABLED ACCESSIBILITY
Dalton Management allows existing premises to be modified at the full expense of the disabled person, if the disabled person agrees to restore the premises to the pre-modified condition. Dalton Management requires:
1. Written approval from the landlord before modifications are made.
2. Written assurances that the work will be performed in a professional manner.
3. Written proposals detailing the extent of the work to be done.
4. Documents identifying the names and qualifications of the contractors to be used.
5. All appropriate building permits and required licenses made available for landlord inspection.
IV. GENERAL REQUIREMENTS
1. Positive identification with a picture will be required.
2. A complete and accurate application listing the current and at least one previous rental reference with phone numbers will be required (incomplete applications will be returned to the applicant).
3. Each applicant will be required to qualify individually. If any applicant in household is denied, all members of household will be denied.
4. Applicants must be able to enter a legal and binding contract.
5. Incomplete, inaccurate or falsified information will be grounds for denial.
6. Any applicant currently using illegal drugs or reporting a conviction for the illegal manufacture or distribution of a controlled substance shall be denied.
7. Any individual who may constitute a direct threat to the health and safety of an individual, the complex, or the property of others, will be denied.
V. INCOME REQUIREMENTS
1. Monthly household income should equal 3 times the stated monthly rent or substantial savings that equal 3 times the rent for six months. Co-signers income must equal 4 times rent.
2. A current paycheck stub from the employer will be required if we are unable to verify income over the phone.
3. Verifiable income will be required for unemployed applicants. (Verifiable income may mean, but is not limited to; Bank Accounts, Alimony/Child Support, Trust Accounts, Social Security, Unemployment, Welfare, Grants/Loans)
4. Self-employed applicants will be required to show proof of income through copies of the previous years tax returns.
5. If monthly income does not equal 3 times the stated monthly rent, a security deposit equal to a full month's rent, qualified roommate or co-signer will be required.
6. If monthly income is less than 2.5xs rent, your application will be denied.
7. You will be denied if your source of income cannot be verified.
VI. EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS
1. 1 year of verifiable employment will be required.
2. Self employed applicants will be verified through the state. A recorded business name or corporate filing will be sufficient to meet employment requirements.
3. A security deposit equal to a full month's rent will be required when employment does not meet the requirements.
4. You will be denied if you are unemployed and an alternative source of income cannot be verified.
VII. RENTAL REQUIREMENTS
1. 1 year of verifiable rental history from a current third party landlord is required. (Rental references ending 12 months prior to the date of application will not be considered current)
2. Home ownership is verified through the county tax assessor. Mortgage payments must be current.
3. Home ownership negotiated through a land sales contract is verified through the contract holder.
4. 4 years of eviction free rental history will be required. A pending eviction will result in a suspension of the application process until the case is resolved.
5. 4 or more 72 hour notices (within a period of 1 year) will result in denial.
6. Rental history demonstrating residency, but not third party rental history, will require a security deposit equal to a full month's rent.
7. A co-signer will be required when rental history does not meet third party rental criteria, but residency can be verified with parents, student housing or military housing.
8. Rental history reflecting past due rent or an outstanding balance will be denied. (A security deposit equal to a full month's rent will be accepted when past due rent has been paid and no additional negative information has been documented)
VIII. CREDIT REQUIREMENTS
1. Good credit will be required
2. Outstanding bad debt exceeding $500.00 on a credit bureau (ie., Slow pay, Collections, Bankruptcies, Repossessions, Liens, Judgments & Wage Garnishment programs) will require a security deposit equal to a full month's rent.
3. Utility collections being reported on the consumer credit file will result in a denial.
IX. CRIMINAL CONVICTION CRITERIA
Upon receipt of the rental applications and screening fee, landlord will conduct a search of public records to determine whether the applicant or any proposed tenant has been convicted of, or pled guilty to or no-contest to, any crime.
a) A conviction, guilty plea or no-contest plea, ever for: any felony involving serious injury, kidnapping, death, arson, rape, sex crimes and/or child sex crimes, extensive property damage or drug-related offenses (sale, manufacture, delivery or possession with intent to sell) class A/Felony burglary or class A/Felony robbery; or
b) A conviction, guilty plea or no-contest plea, where the date of disposition, release or parole have occurred within the last seven years for: any other felony charges; or
c) A conviction, guilty plea or no-contest plea, where the date of disposition, release or parole have occurred within the last seven years for: any misdemeanor or gross misdemeanor involving assault, intimidation, sex related, drug related (sale, manufacture, delivery or possession) property damage or weapons charges; or
d) A conviction, guilty plea or no-contest plea, where the date of disposition, release or parole have occurred within the last three years for: any class B or C misdemeanor in the above categories or any misdemeanors involving criminal trespass I, theft, dishonesty, prostitution shall be grounds for denial of the rental application. Pending charges or outstanding warrants for any of the above will result in a suspension of the application process until the charges are resolved. Upon resolution, if an appropriate unit is still available, the processing of the application will be completed. No unit will be held awaiting resolution of pending charges.
X. DENIAL POLICY
If your application is denied due to negative and adverse information being reported, you may;
1. Contact Background Investigations at (503) 639-6000 to discuss your application.
2. Contact the credit reporting agency to;
a) Identify who is reporting unfavorable information
b) Request a correction if the information being reported is incorrect
If your application has been denied and you feel that you qualify as a resident under the criteria set out above, you should do the following;
Write to our: Equal Housing Opportunity Manager
8417 SW Beaverton-Hillsdale Hwy
Portland, OR 97225
Explain the reasons you believe your application should be reevaluated and request a review of your file. Your application will be reviewed within 7 working days from the date your letter was received and you will be notified of the outcome.